Thursday 4 February 2016

Smile For The Camera

The majestic Chevy Tahoe in its natural environment.
When the topic of cameras comes to mind, I always think back to 2007, when my dad ordered a new, fully loaded Chevy Tahoe. It was by far the largest vehicle my family had ever owned, but most excitingly, it was the first vehicle I’d ever come across that had one of the biggest tech innovations at the time – a backup camera. According to Edmunds, it weighed in at just under 2.5 metric tonnes and over 5 metres in length. If any vehicle needed a backup camera, it was this one.

Overhead views makes parking in tight spaces a breeze.
To say that backup cameras were a great innovation would be an understatement. While they make life easier for motorists that dislike looking over their shoulder while reversing, they most importantly provide an unprecedented level of safety for preventing rearward collisions.

Did you know that on average, over 200 people die each year after being struck by reversing cars, in addition to 15,000 others being injured? That number is staggering, which is why thanks to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, backup cameras will become standard by law in 2018.

New front-facing cameras help give drivers a 360° view.
I’m really happy to see this become a standard piece of equipment on new cars, considering that nearly a decade ago, this was a “luxury option” that cost thousands of dollars. Now, automakers are expanding from including only a backup camera, to including a system of (at least) four cameras that produce a 360° image. This of course means that you’ll be able to see what’s in front, behind, and on both sides of you.


I’ve had the chance to drive a new Mercedes with the 360° camera system on it, and I think it’s fantastic. One day, I’m sure this feature will come standard on all cars, and it’ll help not only those among us that "park by braille", but will also lead to fewer avoidable injuries and deaths. So next time you see someone reversing towards you, be sure to smile for the camera.

8 comments:

  1. I could definitely use a backup camera on my car. Glad to hear they will be standard in 2018. I for one don't park by braille, simply by avoiding parallel parking altogether! Hopefully the backup camera will help me develop that skill...but for now I will leave it to the pros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, a backup camera will definitely help you develop your parallel parking skills. You'd probably love the 360° system as well, it's pretty handy!

      Delete
  2. I remember the time when these great cameras appeared, and everybody was just shocked - you dont have to turn your head 180 any more. Mercedes has always been a leader in this kind of technology. Now S-class in W222 version and new S-coupe are considered the smartest cars in the world. They can see pedestrians, cars, interferences, road signs and react accordingly, making them the safest on the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're exactly right! It's usually the flagship vehicles that Mercedes, Audi, and BMW comes out with that have these new innovations, and then those features trickle down to their other cars over the years. It's really amazing technology.

      Delete
  3. When I became a mother in 2000, I remember wishing I had a back up camera in my car. Toddlers aren't only curious, but also quick on their feet. Unfortunately their short stature make them easy casualties of a vehicle in reverse. Glad to hear this innovation is going to be lawfully required by 2018. If it's available, why not use it? Great topic and post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, you're right on the money about the cameras being great for keeping children safe. The camera seems like such a simple innovation now but I'm happy to see that it's saving so many lives.

      Delete
  4. My sister has a backup camera on her car!! We could never figure out where it was! I am going to check it out now. Even though she has the camera.. I still catch her turning her head around. Some people just never get use to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still let her turn her head around when she's backing up; that's never a bad thing!

      Delete